For those who are looking for a healthy snack option then this easy pickled eggs recipe should be on top of your list. Pickled eggs are great for snack as they are protein rich and eggs are said to give an energy boost to the eater. And with this food already loaded with spices, it would give a different feel to those ordinary and boring regular hard boiled eggs. So try another way to enjoy pickled eggs and beets coming from glass jars and colorful at that.
Ready In : 5 Hours
Total Time : 30 minutes
Prep Time : 10 minutes
Cook Time : 20 minutes
Servings : 8
Cooking Level : Easy
8 Fresh Eggs
1 15 oz. can sliced beets with liquid
½ Cup White Vinegar
½ Cup White Sugar
½ Cup Water
½ Teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
Pickled Eggs Recipe Procedure:
- Place the fresh eggs in a saucepan with cold water over medium heat.
- When the water boils remove the saucepan immediately from the heat and let all the eggs stand for 10 to 12 minutes in the hot water.
- After the time, allow the eggs to get cool under running water and gently pound the sides of the eggs on a hard surface to make peeling them easier.
- Put all the eggs in a glass jar and set aside.
- In another saucepan, combine all of the remaining ingredients including the cinnamon if desired.
- Stir the pickling sauce to a boil and make sure all the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and pour over the eggs in the glass.
- Let the sauce cool down before closing the jar and place inside the refrigerator to chill.
Pickled Eggs Recipe Tips:
- It is best to use a glass jar for this as the beets may stain a plastic container.
- Do not use a metal container as it will make the sauce and the eggs slimy and not desirable at all.
- The longer the eggs are allowed to pickle the tastier they will become. The minimum of 5 hours will only allow the flavors to penetrate the outside of the eggs. If the eggs are able to sit for a minimum of 3 days, then the flavor can get into the center of the egg making the eggs savory in itself.
- The deep purple color of the beets will also color the eggs and can give a tinge of pink to the yolk if pickled for more than 3 days giving the eggs a different color.
This pickling style for the eggs is for those who are looking for a sweet way to enjoy the eggs. For those who want it spicier and have that twist in taste, you can always adjust the flavor to your preference. Food in general can always be seasoned with the flavors that you want so you have a choice as to what you put in there. But this pickled eggs recipe will surely engage those who are not into pickled food and let them have a change of heart.